Search This Blog

Sunday, 30 June 2013

March 2013: A Birthday Present to the MSA Trust

Thanks to the support and advice of the MSA Trust I had been able to arrange a visit from one of the Palliative Care Team from our local Hospice. This was my first step towards getting my head straight and finding a way to move forward as I tried to do all I could to help Suzie cope with this life-destroying illness. Anyone reading this who would like to know more about MSA or the way in which the MSA Trust helps please visit their website:http://www.msatrust.org.uk/
The visit from the Hospice Palliative Care Nurse was booked for Fri. March 1st, which was already a very significant day for us.... It was my 50th Birthday!
If I'd been asked 12 months ago how I would be celebrating my milestone birthday I can think of a few possibilities, but I think it's fair to say that meeting with a Hospice Palliative Care Nurse would probably not have been on the list. Suzie was well into her chemotherapy, struggling to cope with two rare and life changing illnesses, neither of us was getting much sleep, and my top priority was to be at home caring for Suzie.... so celebrating in any of the traditional ways just wasn't going to happen.
About a week earlier I'd been on the 'Just Giving' website to make a donation to the MSA Trust when the idea suddenly came to me.... I would dedicate my Special Birthday to raising money for this wonderful charity. If I could raise some funds for them and spread awareness of this illness I would feel that my birthday hadn't just passed by unnoticed. I set up a donations page and put a little 'plea' on Facebook, setting a target of £500 (a little concerned that I might be being a little bit over-ambitious). I needn't have worried. The donations came pouring in and by the time my birthday arrived my target had already been smashed, with more donations still coming in. I was delighted, overwhelmed, humbled and deeply moved by the level of generosity shown by so many people. Having thought that my special birthday was going to be a complete non-event I was just so thrilled to be able to do something to help other people who are going through the same nightmare that Suzie and I were facing. It made me feel like my 'Special Birthday' had turned out to be just about as special as it possibly could be.
If anyone reading this would like to help the MSA Trust to continue their most valuable work please do have a look at my page. It will give you information about the work of the trust and also the option to make a donation if you wish.
Thank you to everyone who made my birthday so worthwhile.